I am professor of software production in the Department of Information and Computing Sciences at Utrecht University in the Netherlands. I am principal investigator in the department's Requirements Engineering lab.
In my research, I blend artificial intelligence with information visualization in order to increase the quality of the requirements engineering process and artifacts. I devise software tools that assist human analysts and stakeholders in eliciting, expressing and analyzing requirements. Most of my research is validated empirically via experiments and/or collaboration with software companies.
I served as program co-chair of IEEE 2023, REFSQ 2021, and RCIS 2020. I was the organization chair for the REFSQ 2018 conference, I am an associate editor for the Requirements Engineering Journal and the Business & Information Systems Engineering Journal, and I am on the steering committee of the IEEE RE and REFSQ conferences. I regularly serve on the program committee of international conferences such as RE, CAiSE, AAMAS, REFSQ, ER, ICSE.
Before joining Utrecht University in 2013, I was a post-doctoral fellow at the Department of Computer Science, University of Toronto, Canada (2012-2013) and previously at the Department of Information Engineering and Computer Science, University of Trento, Italy (2011-2012). I obtained a Ph.D. from the same university (2006-2011) in the area of self-adaptive systems.
- Evaluating Classifiers in SE Research: The ECSER Pipeline and Two Replication Studies (Davide Dell'Anna, Fatma Başak Aydemir, Fabiano Dalpiaz), In Empirical Software Engineering, 2023. [doi]
- Crowd-based requirements elicitation via pull feedback: Method and case studies (Jelle Wouters, Abel Menkveld, Sjaak Brinkkemper, Fabiano Dalpiaz), In Requirements Engineering, 2022. [doi]
- On Deriving Conceptual Models from User Requirements: An Empirical Study (Fabiano Dalpiaz, Patrizia Gieske, Arnon Sturm), In Information and Software Technology, volume 131, 2021. [doi]
- Runtime Revision of Sanctions in Normative Multi-Agent Systems (Davide Dell'Anna, Mehdi Dastani, Fabiano Dalpiaz), In Autonomous Agents and Multi-Agent Systems, 2020. [pdf]
- Extracting conceptual models from user stories with Visual Narrator (Garm Lucassen, Marcel Robeer, Fabiano Dalpiaz, Jan Martijn E. M. van der Werf, Sjaak Brinkkemper), Requirements Engineering, volume 22, 2017. [pdf]