507
Item nr.


Philips 50IC361/00 Portable

Donor that became donee


Data for Philips 50IC361/00
ProductionGermany, 1971.
Price was DM348.
BandsLW (148-262kHz), MW (517-1622kHz), TB (2.18-6.26MHz), 49m (5.89-6.26MHz), SW (7.03-21.97MHz), FM (87.5-104.5MHz); IF 452kHz and 10.7MHz.
Semi-
conductors
TBA570.
CabinetPlastic. Size 370x226x85mm.
PowerAC 115/230V, batt 6xD.
DocumentsSchema (from NVHR); longer version at DocTSF.fr; Philips 1972 flyer, p23.

The Design

This set was given to me as a spare parts set for fixing my earlier Hurricane de Luxe. However, as it turned out, this set not only worked better, but also looked better than my earlier one. So I reversed the roles: I fixed up this set with two parts from the other one.

See the description of the earlier Hurricane for more information on the model.


Obtained1/2020 from Fred.
Condition8.

This Object

When I opened the radio, I found some extra components soldered under the PCB. It all looked well done, so I left the extra parts there. Instead of covering the FM from 87 to 104 MHz, the set only tuned up to 93 MHz. I traced the variable voltage of the voltage controlled tuning and found that the correct driving voltage was delivered to the varicaps, but at exactly this place, two 5pF capacitors were soldered over the varicap. Needless to say, this reduced the frequency that could be tuned. (Reduced, that is, at the top of the band. Of course the tuning range was extended a little on the bottom range, which makes me guess that the goal of this mod was to receive Police communications aroun 86 to 87 MHz.) Removing the caps restored the full band coverage.

The S-meter didn't work. Measurement revealed that there was about 50mV on the meter terminals, the same as in the parts set. The meter, when taken out, measured 500 Ohms resistance, but didn't react on the measurement. The meter of the parts set, when measured for resistance, also points at 500 Ohms, but then reacts itself also by moving to 4.

The early series of Hurricanes was produced with tuning caps with brown mica. In some sets, this stuff brittles and renders the cap unusable. Fortunately, the cap is still OK in this set. Some markings were written on the preset tuning knobs, but this could be cleansed well with alcohol.


Part of Gerard's Radio Corner.
Generated by SiteBuilder on 4/6/2020 by Gerard (g.tel@uu.nl)