491
Item nr.


Zenith TransOceanic Royal 1000 World receiver

TransOceanic with traces of suffering


Data for Zenith TransOceanic Royal 1000
ProductionUSA, 1962.
Price was USD250.
BandsBC (540-1620kc), 2-4Mc, 4-9Mc, 31m, 25m, 19m, 16m, 13m; IF 455kHz.
Semi-
conductors
9 transistors: 121-44 (RF), 121-49 (mixer), 121-48 (osc), 121-73 and -74 (IF), 121-64 (audio), 121-46 (driver), 2x 121-47 (output).
CabinetMetal. Size 32x20x12cm.
PowerBatt 12V and 1,5V.

The Design

This model was produced during several years, but the date code 6214 on the main capacitor puts my item in production 1962.

The dial gives the impression that the radio has a caroussel tuner (a rotating block of coils) but it doesn't. There is a conventional band switch and coils in fixed position, but the band switch is connected mechnically to a rotating dial. So only the chosen band is visible.

The dial is illuminated by a small 1.5V bulb. Medium Wave is marked BC (for standard BroadCast), is marked in multiples of 10kc (the last 0 of the frequency is usually omitted on American radio's), and has Conelrad CD marks at 640 and 1240kc. The frequencies from 2.0 to 2.5 Mc are marked ship-to-ship. The 80m ham band is also denoted on the dial, but from 3.5 to 4.0Mc (in Europe the amateurs can only use up to 3.8). Of course, in the early sixties hams worked in AM and could be listened in with this radio. It's all SSB now. The range from 5.9 to 6.2 Mc is denoted Intl BC, just as it is nowadays.

TransOceanic is a famous line of shortwave receivers, in fame comparable to the Grundig Satellite we had in Europe. The TO series is a bit older, it had its beginning in the tube era and the model 1000 is the first transistorized one. Transistors (all germanium types) are mounted in sockets, just like tubes.


Obtained12/2018 from NVHR Swap Meet; sn=2107973P.
Condition6; somewhat operational but poor cosmetic.
DisposedSold 5/2020.
Sound samplePLAY SOUND   On January 1, 2019, GNR (1008kHz) and RBTF (621kHz) ceased AM operation and the only two remaining stations during day time are Radio Paradise and Fidelio.

This Object

I paid only 4 euros for this radio, but the condition of the radio was of course accordingly horrible. I set my goal to return it to working state, but making it look like new again is probably beyond my possibilities. A first inspection of the radio revealed that (1) the cabinet is dirty and misses some parts; (2) Battery holder misses; (3) One output transistor 121-47 is gone; (4) and switch knob misses; (5) Dial cover glass is broken loose; (6) Spring from back panel clip misses; (7) The dial knob rotation is reverted; (8) No supports on bottom. The set was checked by Tester number 2 and has an owner sticker in the back panel.

After removing the chassis, I tried to replace the missing output transistor (see 3) with a modern Silicium unit and this works remarkably well. The bias must be increased to about 650mV, so I looked at the resistor from driver transformer to negative supply, this one is 5k6, and put a 1k8 resistor in parallel to it. Then I bent the wires of two BC327 transistors in shape, placed them in the sockets, and got very good sound from the radio! Then Jef sent me two AC128 germanium output transistors, and I could operate the radio with almost original transistors again.

Then there were a list of minor things to be done:
1, Cabinet: I took some time to remove stains and sticker glue with ammonia and alcohol, replace some missing screws from the cabinet, and this restored a more or less acceptable appearance.
2, Battery holder: I soldered in an AA cell for the dial lights and a P-cell connector for the power supply. The radio plays already some strong stations on a 9V P-cell, but performs better on a 12V supply.
4, Band switch: The original band switch is a nice shiny knob with foldable thumb support, and I don't have it. Getting an original one through eBay will probably cost me three times the price/value of the radio. From my knob supply I digged out a knob that fits and does not look too strange on this set.
5, Dial glass: I fixed the dial glass in place with some two sided tape.
6, Back panel spring: When I saw the radio first time at the NVHR Swap Meet, the back panel fell open all the time. I did have some idea to fetch a spring in the clip, but it turned out not necessary. fter fixing the bottom with two small bolts, the back panel was pushed tighter to the top edge and remained in place by itself.
7, Dial chord: I think the dial chord was rewound by somebody who didn't have the service instructions. Dial pointer and tuning cap were correct relative to each other, but rotating the knob left would move the pointer right. With the dial chord layout from the service notes at hand, it took me about ten minutes to string it correctly.
8, Stands: I glued four patches of soft material under the radio.

The inside picture on the left shows the extra AA cell, and the replacement AC127 output transistors right to the driver transformer. In the top of the picture you can see the dial. The photo right shows the coil assembly and the three-ganged tuning capacitor.


Part of Gerard's Radio Corner.
Generated by SiteBuilder on 5/7/2020 by Gerard (g.tel@uu.nl)