- The Handbook of Rationality (eds. Markus Knauff and Wolfgang Spohn) is now open access.
Public announcement of my appointment as full professor on AI and law at Utrecht University, with a brief interview.
- I was a co-organiser of and speaker at a session on
Legal and Ethical Aspects of ChatGPT and Similar Tools during the Meet Human-Centered AI Day, Utrecht (The Netherlands), 4 April 2023.
- I have received the 2023 CodeX Prize of CodeX - The Stanford Center of Legal Informatics, Stanford University, jointly with Trevor Bench-Capon and Giovanni Sartor, in acknowledgement of our work on argumentation theory and its application to the law.
- I was a co-organiser of a symposium on
Law and Artificial Intelligence: Not a World Apart, Utrecht (The Netherlands), 18 May 2022.
- My reader Juridische Argumentatie (in Dutch) is now downloadable under Creative Commons license CC BY-NC 4.0.
- Mijn commentaar als referent op het preadvies van Eric Tjiong Tjin Tai tijdens het jaarcongres 2020 van de Nederlandse Juristenvereniging. De preadviezen zijn hier te downloaden.
- John Fox, the leader of the ASPIC project (2004-2007) died on August 31, 2021. Links to a tribute and an obituary.
- I was interviewed by the Dutch newspaper NRC about IBM's Debater project.
- The special issue of Topics in Cognitive Science on Models of Rational Proof in Criminal Law, edited by myself, Floris Bex and Anne Ruth Mackor, is now online. See also the introduction. With useful case study material for argumentation research, including my argumentation-based analysis of the Simonshaven case.
- I am the coordinator of a special-interest group on AI, Ethics and Law of the new UU focus area Human-centered AI.
- I take part in the 19 million euro NWO Gravity project on Hybrid Intelligence.
- My invited talk Abstract argumentation does not exist at the ILLC Workshop on The wisdom and madness of crowds: argumentation, information exchange and social interaction.
- A new online complaints system of the Dutch Police has ASPIC+ inside. See also Schraagen et al. (2018).
- I was interviewed about the 'robot judge' in the Dutch newspaper Trouw.
- A report of a tutorial for judges (in Dutch).
- Some recent and forthcoming papers: