I hold an appointment as full professor in Visual Data Analytics at the Department of Information and Computing Sciences, Utrecht University, where I lead the Visualization and Graphics group. I was full professor of Multiscale Visual Analytics, SVCG group, Bernoulli Institute, Faculty of Science and Engineering, University of Groningen.
- information visualization and visual analytics (techniques, system design)
- big data multiscale visualization (hierarchies, graphs, trail sets)
- visualization for AI (dimensionality reduction, explaining machine learning)
- shape/image processing (skeletonization, segmentation, fairing, reconstruction)
- interactive systems design (interaction and animation for data exploration)
- scientific visualization (GPU-based and PDE-based visualization techniques)
- program analysis (software visualization, fact extraction, software evolution)
The Book: Data Visualization - Principles and Practice
My book gives a practical introduction to data visualization. It targets (under)graduate students and professionals interested in designing and implementing visualization applications to explore big data. Topics covered: scalar, vector, tensor, image, volume, and information visualization. Published by AK Peters/CRC Press/Routledge.
First edition: 2008. Second edition: 2014. Chinese edition: 2018. Over 5000 copies sold (2018).
Below are the main courses I deliver or have delivered (full details here):
- Visual analytics for big data
- Scientific visualization
- Multimedia retrieval
- Software maintenance and evolution
- Computer graphics
- Software quality assurance and testing
PhD and MSc Students
My PhD research (2000) was on the design and implementation of VISSION, an application-building environment for VIsualization and SImulation with Object-oriented Networks. VISSION proved - relevant at the time, and likely now too - that all one can achieve in Java can also be done in C++, only better, cleaner, faster, and easier.
My work led to a (>2M EUR turnover) start-up company (SolidSource BV) specialized in tools and services for the visual analysis of big data for industry-scale software maintenance.